(908) 256-3039


Call Us

After a Car Accident: What Do I Do?

Car AccidentCar accidents are the number one cause of personal injury claims in New Jersey.  If you have been involved in a car accident, it is important to take the correct steps to ensure that you have fully protected your right to have the medical bills paid and to sue the other driver if they were at fault.

After the police have left the scene, the first thing you should do is report the car accident to your insurance company—this needs to be done as soon as possible.  All motor vehicle insurance companies have 800 numbers which can be used to report claims.  The 800 number is usually on the insurance card and it is available at the company’s website.  Insurance companies have the right to deny benefits, if they are not notified in a timely fashion.  New Jersey follows the “No Fault” system. This means that the injured party’s insurance company will cover their medical bills and other expenses, regardless whether it was their fault or not. Under the “No Fault Insurance Law” New Jersey requires that most treatments and diagnostic procedures must be pre-approved in order for the insurance company to cover them.

The insurance company for the adverse driver will often try to settle quickly, which can be tempting, but settling immediately may deprive you of the money you deserve. It is important to keep conversations short when discussing information with the adjuster and be wary of any documents that need to be signed.  In fact, be sure to talk to an attorney before signing anything.

If you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident, the Law Office of Tom Chaves is here to help! I understand that after such an ordeal, fighting with insurance companies is the last thing you want to do. I work hard to make sure that the insurance company pays your medical bills and I will take care of the paperwork so you can concentrate on getting better. Call me, attorney Tom Chaves, at (908) 256- 3039 for a free consultation.

Share this Article

About the Author